Translate

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Kinderdijk Windmills - UNESCO Heritage Site

The windmills at Kinderdijk in the Netherlands are a group of 19 windmills located not very far from Dordrecht and Rotterdam in the province of South Holland. Built in the 1730s and 1740s, the objective was to keep water out of the polder. Polders are low lying areas, in fact below sea level. This area houses the largest concentration of old windmills in the Netherlands and has become one of the best-known tourist sites. The mills are listed as national monuments and the entire area is a protected village. The area has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997.




How to get there: I was in fact on my way by train from Utrecht to Zaanse Schans another windmills related site north of Amsterdam. I suddenly reversed direction and headed far south. One of the joys of solo travel. The train route turned out to be a little complex. I got lost, and headed far south. After some reorientation, I headed north once again got off at Dordrecht, then hopped on a bus to Kinderdijk, a slightly long trip. I learnt later that there is a direct bus to Utrecht, which I used on my way back in the evening. The friendly boat driver told me about the bus that goes to Utrecht every hour. 




It was an extremely grey afternoon, a steady drizzle was falling. My light, easy dry jacket and umbrella came in extremely handy. It was fairly cool, as well. The line at the ticket counter was not too long, with a sprinkling of visitors from Asia and the USA. My umbrella spread protectively out, I chose to stand out in the open deck and gaze silently at the windmills that went by, one by one.  










Windmills are of different designs, depending on the job they are supposed to do. Some even turn depending on the direction of the wind. 




Amazing feats of engineering, close to 400 years old.



Every windmill is inhabited. The owners take great pride in protecting their national heritage, with assistance from the government.  







Waiting for that perfect picture... 




The boat went quietly along the entire area, with canals at right angles.







My selfie attempts were not working too well. One of the other passengers kindly offered to click my picture against the backdrop of a windmill.








The boat ride over, I walked over to the windmill that has been preserved as a museum. The drizzle was light but steady. The interiors have been preserved extremely well. Living area, sleeping area, sowing area. 




A range of colourful earthenware vessels.




The stairs are very narrow and remarkably steep. That's a Dutch tradition, I learnt. 




Living areas are distributed across multiple levels. 




Fishing nets that were used centuries ago.



The central shaft that converts wind energy to mechanical energy to pound wheat or to pump water is massive, indeed. 







Cozy chairs for tea, anyone?



Living quarters, with clothes and storage space. 






The massive gear that is part of the engineering design is equally massive.




A view of the 'museum windmill' from the outside. 






A radio and tape recorder from the 1950s, therefore relatively modern compared to the original design.




The organ still plays..!!




Clogs, anyone? Huge wooden shoes.




This is what the vanes of the windmills look from close up. Super engineering!




Fishing nets strewn out that trap passing fish.




Outside the windmill area is the water level maintenance equipment, a complex system of sluice gates. 




At the bus stop, the electronic display announced that the next bus had been cancelled, so I had an extra hour on hand. Time to sample beer that I had not tried so far, a relatively  strong triple. 



A cigarette vending machine stored next to the restrooms. And where were the restrooms located? Down a narrow and steep flight of stairs. Ah, of course!




Yummy dinner, while I waited.







View of the quaint and lovely Grand Cafe Buena Vista restaurant from the outside. 





The electronic display tells me that the next bus to Utrecht is due at 2040 hrs. The rain has let up by now.



Comfortably seated in the bus, I gaze at the greenery and waterways as I head back to Utrecht. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments...